How to love your laboratory in a few easy steps:
- Keep your laboratory clean! Please throw away your empty chemical bottles. Please wash your glassware and put it away (don’t leave it in the sinks or on the counter tops!). Please remove your items from the chemical fume hoods at the end of the day. Please throw away paper towels. Please recycle your empty boxes after you receive a package.
- Take responsibility for your waste! Make sure every waste container has an ASU Hazardous Waste Tag on it and it is filled out to completion! Do not leave waste bottles in the hoods! (I’m looking at you 1st floor lab hood users!) Please place full bottles in the satellite collection area right inside the A207 doorway!
- Do not get the lab fined! ADEQ inspection is coming soon to a lab near you! ALL BOTTLES MUST BE LABELLED AND HAVE LIDS. Don’t be that person who is responsible for $17,000 fines.
- Be nice to instruments! Love them as if they were your first born child. Talk to the responsible person for the instrument and get training. Sign up online to use the instrument. Say nice things to the instruments. Report any problems to the responsible person.
- Be nice to your fellow lab mates! Do not borrow supplies without asking first. No matter how much that pipet calls to you. No matter how dire the need at 2am. Don’t do it. Keep chit-chat noise to a minimum while in the lab desk area. If you use the last of a general supply item, please ask Sarah to order more, so the next person won’t be left supply-less. If you use up a general use gas tank, please order another one.
- Stay Safe! Please report all injuries or damage to equipment. You will not get in trouble! ASU wants to make sure you are safe, and you get medical treatment if you are injured. Minor injuries may not require you to go to the health center, but you still need to report them. We have first aid kits all over the lab and in the office. Packed to the brim with Band-Aids and other emergency supplies.
Here is a video of my safety presentation I gave at the first large group meeting! I’m sorry it doesn’t have sound. Thank you everyone! Have a fabulous February and LOVE YOUR LAB.